Post-TreatmentThe Secret to Timeless Beauty
- Avoid any blood thinning medications for 5 days before treatment (Aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Aleve, Excedrin, Fish Oil, Ginkgo Biloba, etc.).
- Avoid alcohol for at least 72 hours prior to treatment.
- You can take arnica tablets for three days in advance to prevent bruising and swelling.
- Arrive at your appointment wearing no makeup.
- No dental procedures including dental cleaning 2 weeks prior to filler procedure
Bruising: Bruising is the most commonly reported post treatment concern. Bruising can be unpredictable and can be very noticeable. Bruising can last for 2-14 days. Treatment for bruising includes the following:
- Ice for the first 24 hours, 20 minutes on and off.
- Warm compresses after 48 hours, 20 minutes on then off.
- Arnica is an oral and topical homeopathic medicine. Oral medication is to be taken as directed. Topical can be applied 3 times daily, or as needed to the injected area. Arnica cream is for bruising and the prevention of long term bruising of staining. It is highly recommended for tear trough injections or any person that may bruise easily.
Swelling: Swelling occurs commonly and the treatment for swelling is as follows:
- Ice for 20 minutes on and then off until swelling is improved, usually within 2-3 days for lower face injections.
- Tear trough injections usually have 2-14 days of swelling, up to 1 month.
- Tylenol can be taken for any soreness after injection, which is common.
Cold sores: If you are having injections of the lips and have a history of cold sores, you may need to take antiviral medication to prevent an outbreak. It is recommended this be started 24 hours prior to treatment. Please make your provider aware at the time of consult.
Palpable Filler: You may be able to feel the product that was placed under your skin. This is normal and no treatment is necessary.
Lumps/Bumps/Skin Irregularities: Distinct lumps are uncommon. If you have a concern for any perceived irregularities, please call our office to discuss. This will often not be addressed until 2 weeks post injection and bruising and swelling can mimic lumpiness.
Lips: After having your lips filled avoid hot foods for 24 hours. Avoid any pressure on the lips (i.e. kissing) until they have fully healed, this includes drinking through a straw.
Everyone has asymmetry at baseline. Although we attempt to create symmetry during the Lip Filler procedure, the act of piercing the lips with a needle creates trauma and swelling, on top of existing asymmetry. Additionally, bruising can occur which displaces volume that will not be there once the Lip Filler swelling and bruising resolves. The final results may therefore appear asymmetrical due to these factors. We cannot predict how the lips will swell, bruise or heal. Please also no vaccines or dental procedures 2 weeks post treatment and avoid blood thinners.
Tear Troughs: Results may vary. Please allow a full 4 weeks for your final results. Within the 4 weeks, there may be fluctuations of swelling that can be caused from sleeping on your side and eating salty foods. Avoid makeup 4- 6 hours post treatment.
No dental procedures including dental cleaning 2 weeks after Filler procedure.
- Do NOT consume alcoholic beverages at least 24 hours prior to treatment to decrease the risk of bruising.
- Avoid anti-inflammatory/blood thinning medications, if possible, for a period of 2 weeks before treatment. Medications and supplements such as aspirin, vitamin E, ginkgo biloba, ginseng, St. John’s Wart, Omega 3/Fish Oil supplements, Ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, Aleve and other NSAIDS have a blood thinning effect and can increase the risk of bruising and swelling after injections.
- Schedule your appointment at least 2 weeks prior to a special event which you may be attending, such as a wedding or a vacation. Full results from toxin injections will take 14 days. Also bruising and swelling may be apparent in that time period.
- Be sure to have a good meal including food and drink before your procedure. This will decrease the chances of lightheadedness during your treatment.
- You are not a candidate if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do NOT manipulate the treated area for 4 hours following treatment.
- Do NOT receive facials or microdermabrasion for 2 days after treatment unless specified by the physician.
- Do NOT lie flat for 4 hours after your treatment to prevent toxins from tracking to undesired muscles.
- Do NOT rub, massage, or scratch the injection site.
- Avoid makeup for 1-2 hours after treatment.
- Avoid hats/headbands/helmets, or any compression to treated areas for 48 hours
- It can take 14 days for full results to be seen. If the desired result is not seen after 2 weeks of your treatment you may need additional injections.
- Do NOT perform activities involving straining, heavy lifting, or vigorous exercise for 6 hours after treatment.
- This will keep the toxin in the injected area and not elsewhere.
- Do not sweat excessively the day of procedure.
- Avoid the use of Aspirin, NSAIDS, Blood thinners, Ginkgo Biloba, Garlic Supplements, Green Tea, Flax Oil, Fish Oil, Vitamins A and E, and Omega/essential fatty acids for up to 1 week pre and post injection as they will increase your risk of bruising. Please check with your Primary Care Provider prior to stopping any prescribed medications.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages 72 hours before (or after) your treatment to avoid extra bruising.
- You may take Arnica tablets 2-3 days prior to your injection to reduce the risk of bruising – Do not apply products that are potentially irritating for 2 -3 days before and after treatment (examples- tretinoin/retin-a, glycolic acid, benzoyl peroxide, hydroquinone).
- Inform your provider if you have a history of cold sores to receive advice on antiviral therapy prior to treatment.
- Do not use the above stated if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Please inform your provider if you have any questions about this prior to the treatment.
- No dental procedures including dental cleaning 2 prior to the Sculptra procedure.
- If bruising is noted, you may apply covered ice to injection sites for 15 minutes on and 30 minutes off, for 3 times, the day of treatment.
- You may take Acetaminophen/Tylenol if you experience any mild tenderness/discomfort Massage the area with Arnica Gel 5 times a day, for 5 minutes each time, for 5 days after treatment.
- After treatment there will be moderate swelling and redness with possibility of bruising. These symptoms will resolve in about 10-14 days. You may take Arnica tablets to help decrease the amount of bruising.
- Avoid UV exposure until any redness/swelling has subsided. Always Apply SPF 50 if exposed to sun for any length of time.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours to reduce bruising and swelling. You may resume other normal activities/routines immediately.
- Avoid laser, IPL, or skin tightening treatments of the area for at least 2-3 weeks.
- You may continue your topical products as mentioned above 1 week after injection.
- No dental procedures including dental cleaning 2 weeks after Sculptra procedure.
Things to Do Before Thread Lift Treatment
Your practitioner will devise an appropriate action plan for you as per your skin type and the treatment required. However, the usual guidelines provided are as follows:
- Smoking and all kinds of alcohol must be avoided for at least one week before the procedure as they can dehydrate the skin and even affect the anesthetic step. It helps in speeding the recovery process and providing the best treatment results.
- Avoid consuming omega fish oils, vitamin E, chili ginseng, garlic, krill, and other such supplements at least two days before the treatment. It is best to avoid green and ginger teas as well.
- Aspirin-based products, like Naproxen/Naprogesic, Neurofen, and Ibuprofen, must be avoided as they can cause bleeding, unwanted side effects and complications.
- Avoid performing high-intensity exercises and going to a sauna or steam room.
Your practitioner may give you more guidance on what to do before the treatment.
Things to Do After Thread Lift Treatment
The treatment has a minimal recovery time, but there is still plenty you can do to enhance the recovery and get the best results. Some patients may experience nausea after the thread lift procedure due to anesthesia. However, it will pass after sipping small amounts of water.
Here are some more things you should do after the treatment:
- Ice the treated area for a few minutes for four to five times during the day for the first week if you are experiencing slight bruising or swelling.
- Restrict facial movements for one day. Make sure to rest for a full day after getting the treatment.
- You can move around wherever you want, but don’t perform any strenuous activity or heavy lifting for three weeks.
- You can take pain killers as required after the procedure. Try consuming them after a meal to avoid any risk of nausea.
- It is best to avoid aspirins for the next two weeks after the treatment.
- Avoid applying makeup or facial cream for at least 48 hours.
- You should not drink a beverage with a straw and focus on drinking liquids or consuming soft foods for at least a week.
- Chewing gum should be avoided for at least two weeks.
- Experiencing slight discomfort in the first two days after the procedure is normal, it will gradually reduce.
- Try keeping your head elevated for a week.
- Don’t pull your facial skin, massage, scrub or exfoliate the skin for at least three weeks. You are also not supposed to wash or touch your face for at least 12 hours.
- Follow the care guidelines the practitioner gives you regarding the incision wounds.
- It is recommended that you sleep on your back to prevent any swelling. Avoid straining or placing pressure on your face as it may result in threads misalignment.
- Avoid getting any dental treatment for at least two weeks after getting the PDO thread lift.
In case of unusual pain or swelling, it is important to consult your practitioner to get the appropriate treatment immediately.
PRE-TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS ARE PROVIDED BELOW:
- Avoid caffeine the day of procedure.
- Restrain from alcoholic beverages 48 hours prior to procedure.
- Aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen or any similar pain reliever should not be used 7 days prior to procedure.
- Tweezing or waxing should be done 48 hours prior to procedure.
- Do not expose the areas to be treated to the sun or tanning beds for one week prior to procedure.
- Fillers should be done 6 weeks prior to your scheduled procedure or done 6 weeks after the procedure.
- Arrive for the procedure with a clean, dry face, and free of any products and makeup.
- Consult with your physician before taking or discontinuing the use of any medications.
- If is recommended to NOT have a tan/burn on your dace at the time of the procedure.
- No eyebrow tinting 5 days before the procedure.
- Botox injections should be performed either 2 months prior to your scheduled procedure or 1 month after your final procedure.
POST-TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS ARE PROVIDED BELOW:
- TYLENOL works best for minor pain relief. Consult your physician before taking any medication and be sure to understand all it’s side-effects and contraindications.
- Small ice packs may be used (5 min max) to minimize swelling the day of, and the day after the procedure.
- Avoid getting new brows wet.
- No cleansers, creams, make-up or any other products on procedure area for 10 days.
- DO NOT use products with fragrances or harsh chemicals, Peroxide, Retin-A or Glycolic Acids for 4 weeks following procedure.
- DO NOT use antibacterial / antibiotic ointments such as Neosporin.
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you scrub, scratch, or pick treated areas.
- Use a fresh pillow.
- AVOID saunas & long hot showers for 10 days.
- AVOID sun exposure and tanning beds, facials, sweating, swimming, whirlpools, and exertion for at least 14 days.
- AVOID sleeping on your face.
- KEEP ALL PET’S kisses and dander away from treated areas until completely healed.
- FOLLOW ALL post care instructions provided.